Balloon Update - RWK/PHAB-17 - Launch on 7/24

Andrew Koenig

Good afternoon! We are still planning on launching the weather balloon at 9:00AM on Saturday morning. The launch festivities start at 7:30AM and will continue until the payloads have been recovered and the chase team has been fed.

More discussion is taking place over on the PARKBalloon list: https://k5prk.groups.io/g/PARKBalloon

A launch site has not yet been picked, but we can expect it to be north of 380, somewhere in Collin or eastern Denton county.

Here is an estimated track per predict.habhub.org (assume 5m/s ascent, 10m/s descent, 30km burst)

image.png

Payloads of general interest:
* APRS trackers (W5ADC-11 / K5RWK-11 / KE5GDB-11)
* 6m parrot repeater - 52.525MHz (testing in progress!)
* DMR single frequency repeater - "Simplex 1" (441.0MHz / CC1 / TG99 / TS1) - you may already have it in your radio
* Crossband repeater - 446.5MHz up (CSQ) / 147.5MHz down
* DF Beacon - 433.92MHz
* SSTV beacon - 144.5MHz
* 5.8GHz (analog) FPV camera

Everything seems to be coming together well. Doug KD5OUG and Brady W5LH have been working on their tracking and telemetry payload, and it seems to be working well. You can see it in the area as K5RWK-11. Tony W5ADC has tested the tried-and-true W5ADC-11 tracker as well.

I'm currently working on my LoRa based tracker (and ground station). These packets are being sent on UHF at 434.5MHz. I'm still doing some range testing to make sure I have the ideal modulation settings for what we're trying to achieve. The Pi is having no issues with video recording and still image capture from the Pi Camera. I will be integrating/testing the SSTV part of the PiBalloon later today. I was able to move jpegs via the LoRa link, but they really bogged down the channel. I'm also concerned about running the LoRa radio (Adafruit RFM96W) at the duty cycle needed to move jpegs.

The Insta360 camera has arrived and is waiting to be mounted to one of the boxes. Test videos with the cat look great. I'm still working on an external battery solution so we can record for the whole flight. The K5NJM FPV camera works on the bench, but Nick and I are curious about the range capabilities of the 5.8GHz transmitter. If you have any 5.8GHz FPV gear, be sure to try and capture some live video. I'll update the fast facts sheet with the frequency shortly.

As always, the latest info is on the fast facts sheet here:

73 de KE5GDB

--
Andrew Koenig

John Dinneen

I am looking at the HabHub predict Andrew sent – assumes a launch from Krum and I realize that is not correct.

What are you using for Ascent Rate, Descent rate and Burst Altitude?.

Launch site is easy to move…

John F Dinneen KCØL

kc0l@...

john.dinneen@...

Home: 469.362.1942

[...]

Ignore my email – didn’t get that it tracks east to west – unusual.

Got The rates in your email…..

John F Dinneen KCØL

kc0l@...

john.dinneen@...