GMRS in Allen

Johnnie Young KG5CQO

I have someone asking the following question;

Do you know of anyone in the Allen area doing GMRS? Wondering how feasible it is at long distances from a base in Allen.

There are a couple 50 watt GMRS radios on the market, but there don't seem to be any nearby GMRS repeaters.

I'm wondering if anyone has used GMRS in the Allen area up to a range of 20 miles or so.

If you have some info to share, please email me and I will give you his email.  I know a little about GMRS and we found some maps on line.  He is wanting first hand info for Allen.
Thanks,
Johnnie
KG5CQO

Tim Johnson K5TCJ

Interesting.  I got the same query.  Here’s my response to him.

I don’t know anyone doing GMRS and honestly don’t know much about it other than it operates on 462 – 467 MHz (just above the 70 cm ham band), and is more for business and family communications, as compared to the wider audience of Ham Radio.

Here’s a link with more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mobile_Radio_Service

I hope this helps,

Tim

K5TCJ

On Oct 20, 2021, at 17:34, Johnnie Young KG5CQO <newham65now@...> wrote:

I have someone asking the following question;

Do you know of anyone in the Allen area doing GMRS? Wondering how feasible it is at long distances from a base in Allen.

There are a couple 50 watt GMRS radios on the market, but there don't seem to be any nearby GMRS repeaters.

I'm wondering if anyone has used GMRS in the Allen area up to a range of 20 miles or so.

If you have some info to share, please email me and I will give you his email.  I know a little about GMRS and we found some maps on line.  He is wanting first hand info for Allen.
Thanks,
Johnnie
KG5CQO

Roger Stierman

Also, City of Dallas makes some use of GMRS. I don't know the details but will be notified. Can coordinate with Richardson and Allen. WA0VYU

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 5:55 PM, Tim Johnson K5TCJ
<k5tcj@...> wrote:
[...]

David D'arcy, KF5LKG

  N1HN.  We just made a CW contact to him doing POTA out here at the Eisenhower Lake and looking him up on QRZ.  I read he has a GMRS station.  How lucky what timing for your question.  Send him a note.

David DArcy.  KF5LKG

On Oct 20, 2021, at 5:55 PM, Tim Johnson K5TCJ <k5tcj@...> wrote:

[...]

Yep, he must have contacted most of us.
Thanks for the reply, I passed it on.

Johnnie Young KG5CQO

I sent him your reply.
Thanks so much.

Johnnie Young KG5CQO

Thanks so much this should help him out a lot.
Johnnie